Sunday 1 August 2010

Gandalf the umpire?


''Well, here we are at last!'' said Gandalf. ''Here the Elven-way from Hollin ended. Holly was the token of the people of that land, and they planted it here to mark the end of their domain; for the West-door was made chiefly for their use in their traffic with the Lords of Moria. Those were happier days, when there was still close friendship at times between folk of different race, even between Dwarves and Elves.''

''It was not the fault of the Dwarves that the friendship waned,'' said Gimli.

''I have not heard that it was the fault of the Elves,'' said Legolas.

''I have heard both,'' said Gandalf; ''and I will not give judgement now. But I beg you two, Legolas and Gimli, at least to be friends, and to help me. I need you both. The doors are shut and hidden, and the sooner we find them the better. Night is at hand!'' (The Lord of the Rings, Book II, Chapter IV).

2 comments:

  1. 'Annon edhellen, edro hi ammen!
    Fennas,nogothrim, lasto beth lammen!
    '

    Quick, open the doors - the creatures of the depths and the Watcher in the Water will be after me after speaking my mind about Pacelli.

    'Mellon!'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting comment...I wonder if there is a character in all of Tolkien's Legendarium which fits Pius XII's description. I'd say he is a Black Numenorean - that is, he detracted from the True Faith and traded the Word of God for a lie (ie: committee-devised Liturgy). The Mouth of Sauron then?

    ReplyDelete