Saturday 28 August 2010

Kudos to me...

I have finished my revision of Jonah, and I can now say that, in spite of feeling disappointed that Tolkien's own translation didn't eventually get published earlier this year (my own reason for translating Jonah), I have produced a translation which rivals (or even surpasses) any translation hitherto produced.

Also, this blog has now had over 10,000 visitors since I started it in May. Lord only knows why people keep coming back here, and how they discovered me (since some people seem rather embarrassed that they know me - honestly I am the sort of person that people pretend not to see in public), but I still manage an average of about 150 visitors a day. The 10,000th visitor googled me, and even perused the Archives for about half an hour.

I am now off to celebrate. Because of such low interest rates I see no point in saving my money, so I'm going to invest it all in clothes and shoes. I might go to Cordings while their Summer sale lasts, or think about ornamental waistcoats (if Tolkien could pull it off in the '60s, why can't I?), but a nice new pair of Brogues might do. At any rate I don't have the money for a decent waistcoat...

13 comments:

  1. mmmmmm... shoes! ;-)

    I never read JRRT's translation of Jonah. Why don't you give us a teaser from yours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. where can I buy Tolkien's Jonah anyway? Amazon says 'not available' (and implies never will be).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark, it's nice of you to ask but nobody responded to my translations of Bede earlier this year...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just because no-one responded doesn't mean they didn't read them. Mind you, I don't think I was reading your blog at that point. Mea culpa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark, I pre-ordered my copy over a year ago. When February came around finally I received an email informing me that the translation was not going to be published (yet at any rate) - lack of demand or whatever. Shame really.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hrmph. Actually, now that you say that, I remember I did indeed order it, and my order too was cancelled. Grrr...

    What was the other book he translated for the JB? (My memory's getting bad in my dotage. Double grrr...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mark, Tolkien translated no other book for the Jerusalem Bible, not having any time in his retirement what with the forthcoming Second Edition of The Lord of the Rings and his wife's failing health, among other things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right; it's Jonah itself I'm thinking about (been digging online meantime, you see).

    ReplyDelete
  9. By the way, off-topic: I saw you have the Canons and Decrees of Trent on your wishlist. I have a slightly battered copy that you're very welcome to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Patrici,

    As you are starting your Classics degree soon why not put the money you aside for some of your set texts?

    BTW have you been to the Joint Library yet?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Patricius: You've "broadened" my world and given me lots to ponder...
    on some points, don't agree so much; nevertheless; thank you...
    and as just a "spiritual advice"...some of your largesse might be spiritually helpful to you put into alms for the poor or some worthy cause...just sayin'!
    My prayers and blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations. The fact that you're prepared to say what you actually think (that is, to state the obvious, even if there aren't many out there who are willing to accept what their eyes see) rather than stick to the official line, is what draws people back, even if they don't necessarily agree with you. It's a breath of fresh air compared to a lot of the rubbish out there.

    It's always nice to have a little money to spend. Spend it well. I'm currently thinking of investing in a new pool cue, as soon as I come into some money of course. I've never been a saver.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry forgot to add the link for the Joint Library.

    http://www.hellenicsociety.org.uk/frame.htm

    http://icls.sas.ac.uk/library/Home.htm

    ReplyDelete