Saturday 13 June 2015

Hell fire...


I've written about this at length before so I will not belabour the objections I have to this devotion and feast. Suffice it to say that such saccharine and ill-informed pieties present some of the chief stumbling blocks in my acceptance of the legitimacy and propriety of certain Latin traditions since the Middle Ages and Counter Reformation. If the pope is in any way interested in this lost sheep then let him legislate sacred hearts, corpus Christi processions and his own embarrassing claims to infallibility out of existence and beg forgiveness for the many stains visible on the seamless garment of Christ perpetrated by his predecessors, themselves the embodiment of schism. It just won't happen.

I can be liberal in an old fashioned way. Let the Muslims prostrate themselves before Mecca till they see the light of Christ; that's fine. But I will not tolerate certain Popish devotions. I am enraged by the mere fact of their existence and whenever I see them I perceive a doctrine, revealed by God and safeguarded by the Church, being corrupted and destroyed. For that there is no forgiving, either in this life or the next. So have a care whenever you look at a "sacred heart" painting in reverence lest you be cast into the furnace of fire where is wailing and gnashing of teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment