Friday 5 August 2011

Blogging...

There is an element of vulgarity about blogging. I think it's the ''journalism''; the need to churn out posts everyday, whatever the content (or merit thereof), to maximize hits and comments, but also the air of the blogger. He is an expert (or purports to be), with his blog-soapbox; and aren't they all sycophants? A lot of blogs repeat the same old rubbish and seem to constantly appraise other similar bloggers for saying exactly the same thing (''So-and-so has an excellent post about such-and-such; now it's my turn to adorn this subject with my own opinions''). I do things like that very rarely. I have no qualms at all about criticizing people, and I certainly don't suck up to the clergy simply because they wear dog collars. You're either a bumbling aliturgical fool or you're a competent liturgical practitioner worthy of deep respect - whether or not you are in Orders is irrelevant. I daresay that my respect for a certain priest went right down after I learned that he says '62 Office...

This blog is a waste of my time. It is nasty, uninformative and repetitive. I am not a liturgical expert and I am vastly inexperienced, and I don't think I have any more to say on the matter. What do you think? I am going now to read Catullus and get fat on peaches and grapes. Well it is the weekend...

9 comments:

  1. I like you. I have regard for anyone who speaks with openness and honesty, having only one intention, that He reaches out to others in the love of God, who also is not too fond of sycophancy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't have to be a liturgical expert. I have learned so much from you, although I'm perhaps not as radical about '62. You've shaped my liturgical views, and it would be a shame to see you quit blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Si latine peritissimus rhetor es, cur in lingua anglice belligeras? Catullus cum adtritissimis codicibus defessus aestates passus erat, sed blogs ad veterissimos data cluster peritos permaneret.

    Generationes "Spirit of Vatican II" manerent nisi bloggers lingua ecclessiae triumphanis in blogs usus sunt. Eheu, scribamne latine?

    sortacatholic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catullus? That radical young poet has a nice turn of phrase, but such language!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with many of your sentiments concerning blogging, Patricius. Nevertheless—as you yourself point out—, the unseemly practices of other bloggers are failings to which you seldom succumb. If you were to ‘give up’, where else could I find a sympathetic forum in which I might combine my, highly amateur, observations of Tolkien’s work with my vigorous lambasting of the papists?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy Catullus because he was angry and passionate, especially about Lesbia (that bitch).

    JM haudquaquam sum peritus in lingua Latina...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do not stop blogging Patricius!

    As a comment above states you tell it as it is which is a refreshing change. You say yourself that so many blogs just repeat the same, tired, old stuff. 'Parish priest who had recently bought a new hat from Gamarelli had to be revived with a litre of gin after collapsing after using the Benedictine arrangement. Fr. XYZ had been overcome with emotion at reports the pope used a lace-trimmed fanon this morning. Grown men cried with joy'. You are far above that sort of nonsense.

    Liturgiae Causa is different and interesting - keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy the blog very much, even if much of it goes over my head. Please don't give it up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for your kind comments, they are much appreciated. Lord love you!

    ReplyDelete