Sunday 14 August 2011

Of a noble kind...



'''No Sam!'' said Frodo. ''Do not kill him even now. For he has not hurt me. And in any case I do not wish him to be slain in this evil mood. He was great once, of a noble kind that we should not dare to raise our hands against. He is fallen, and his cure is beyond us; but I would still spare him, in the hope that he may find it.''


'Saruman rose to his feet, and stared at Frodo. There was a strange look in his eyes of mingled wonder and respect and hatred. ''You have grown, Halfling,'' he said. ''Yes, you have grown very much. You are wise, and cruel. You have robbed my revenge of sweetness, and now I must go hence in bitterness, in debt to your mercy. I hate it and you! Well, I go and I will trouble you no more. But do not expect me to wish you health and long life. You will have neither. But that is not my doing. I merely foretell.''' (The Lord of the Rings, Book VI, Chapter VIII).


This is one of many great quotes from The Lord of the Rings; an example of how the ethos of our Faith was subtly interwoven into the fabric of the tale and neither allegorical nor too ''obvious.'' I love it. How many Latinate words are here used?



1 comment:

  1. Today's installment of WWFD: What would Frodo do?

    Would Frodo damn to hellfire people who went to holy Mass with the Signum Magnum propers on the feast of Our Lady's Assumption rather than sit at home attacking others who go?

    ReplyDelete