Monday 28 February 2011

An old friend...


I have three other posts in embryonic form at the moment, but I seriously cannot be bothered to finish them. So an account of a Rome-less day out seems apposite.

This afternoon I met up with a very old friend of mine, an atheist in fact who described me as a ''freelance Christian'' (after I told him about going to different churches to experience different Liturgy - but keeping very distant from '62, naturally). We had lunch at Garfunkel's on the Strand, a few pints of passable ale in a nearby pub, went into a dingy church (which I warned him about), wandered around Covent Garden and the National Gallery (discussing Art history - we discussed politics before the Wilton Diptych), and then concluded the day with Choral Evensong at Westminster Abbey - not at their best I must say, the Anthem (by Bach) was pretty crap actually, though the plainsong psalmody was rather good. We had planned on returning to that dingy church, but I had left my No Popery placard at home. All in all a decent way to have spent an otherwise miserable day. Funnily enough, I was telling him about Traditionalists over lunch and dropped my knife, to which he said: ''They must really piss you off Patrick, you're throwing knives!''

He has read this blog occasionally, and found it interesting, noting that my interest in Liturgy was ''purely'' intellectual. He asked about that photo, you know the one with the row of private Masses? Was it the way they were standing? he asked. I explained my objections, and he aptly said that it seemed an awful ''waste of ecclesiastical resources'', or words to that effect (how strange that I agree more with an atheist about matters liturgical than I ever could with a Trad Catholic!). I objected to his saying that my interest was ''purely'' intellectual. I explained that the study of authentic Liturgy is indeed intellectually stimulating, but there were moral dimensions also. Moral and liturgical purity interpenetrate, in my opinion - that the study, celebration and safeguarding of authentic Traditional Liturgy is not only a worthy intellectual endeavour, but a moral activity, veritably conduct of the highest order. The study of authentic Liturgy is study of Tradition, God's writ for our lives and sanctification. The celebration of authentic Liturgy is the celebration of Tradition. The safeguarding of authentic Christian Liturgy is to safeguard the Divine deposit of Faith, and is therefore the duty of all Christian men - regardless of one's mixed loyalties to magisterial ruling. I wonder if Traditionalists who celebrate the '62 liturgy come away feeling that they've actually done something worthwhile, or measurable in the safeguarding of Tradition? In all honesty, when I came to realize what '62 was (and is not), I had quite the opposite feeling; almost that feeling one gets when one has let somebody down.


In case any of my Facebook friends are reading this, I wore a navy twill suit, black semi-brogues, navy overcoat and pink cashmere scarf. Someone said that it is always best to meet someone after a long sundering in clothing which gives off the impression that you are more successful than you are in reality. I hope I didn't overdo it...

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to learn that the choir of the Abbey were off form, they are usually very fine indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Moral and liturgical purity interpenetrate, in my opinion - that the study, celebration and safeguarding of authentic Traditional Liturgy is not only a worthy intellectual endeavour, but a moral activity, veritably conduct of the highest order. The study of authentic Liturgy is study of Tradition, God's writ for our lives and sanctification. The celebration of authentic Liturgy is the celebration of Tradition. The safeguarding of authentic Christian Liturgy is to safeguard the Divine deposit of Faith, and is therefore the duty of all Christian men...'

    I knew I liked you!

    I think that it is not the calling of all to know intimately the development of every word, every custom, every service down to the present day. Certainly, there are those for whom seeking that sort of knowledge is not only proper, but is to be expected, but even the majority, who perhaps have no direct part to play in orchestrating such things are still participants. It is their prayer and the action of the Church of which they are part, sustaining and nourishing their faith. For them to simply turn up mindlessly week by week, day by day, with no concept of what it is that they are doing within their ability, is to defraud themselves of much of the spiritual treasures that the liturgy has to bring.

    You seem to be in company with St John Chrysostom:

    'Virtually all know the words of this psalm and they continue to sing it at every age, without knowing, however, the sense of what has been said. This is not a small charge, to sing something every day, putting forth words from the mouth, without searching out the meaning of the thoughts residing in the words.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rubricarius, no they were superb - I just didn't find the Anthem attractive, but then I dislike Bach generally anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am relieved to hear it. For a moment I thought the esteemed Vicars Choral and the boys were quaking in their stalls with mortal fear of being attacked by a frenzied mob wielding killer rosary beads and sharpened scapulae led by Fr. Hunwicke.

    ReplyDelete