Saturday 28 August 2010

Dormitio beatae Mariae...


For those of you using the Julian Kalendar (as I sometimes wish I could) I wish you every temporal and spiritual blessing in the Lord on this, the feast of St Mary's Dormition. I had planned on going to Ennismore Gardens for Pontifical Liturgy (blue vestments and all!) but I have had an upset stomach all night and feel very poorly.

This short hymn from The Lord of the Rings reminds me of the Sub tuum praesidium. What do readers think?

A Elbereth Gilthoniel! o menel palan-díriel, le nallon sí di'nguruthos! A tíro nin, Fanuilos! [O Queen of the Stars, Star-kindler! from heaven gazing afar, to thee I cry now beneath the shadow of death, O look towards me, Everwhite!]

1 comment:

  1. As i reread this - A Elbereth Gilthoniel- i think more of Salve Regina (yes, i know Sub Tuum Praesidium is more ancient- i think it even features in the Eastern Vespers) and a shiver runs down my spine. Ad te clamamus exsules filii hevae...the exiled Noldorin and later Numenoreans living under the shadow of the black land calling to Varda...

    ReplyDelete