Friday 11 March 2016

Can anyone help?

I really am a technological dinosaur. Something happened on my desktop computer which caused my mother to uninstall the whole thing. I don't know what she did but I had to "realign" Google Chrome to a different version by right clicking its "Properties," and slavishly following the instructions of an online forum. But now I cannot use Windows Media Player and there doesn't seem to be a solution in any online forum for Microsoft that matches my problem. Every time I try to play a file (such as the audio file I uploaded earlier to-day), this message comes up.


If I click "yes," I am taken to the Windows website. If I click "no," nothing happens. I have tried downloading the Media Player from the Windows website but it still won't let me play audio downloads or CDs, and this same box comes up. I have followed the instructions given on the fora but none of them have worked. Does anyone more technically astute have any ideas about why it isn't working?

3 comments:

  1. Does this work? The solution might depend upon which version of Windows you are running.

    1. Click on "Start button -> All Programs -> Accessories". Right-click on "Command Prompt" and select "Run As Administrator". If you are prompted to enter password, enter the password and continue.

    2. Now provide following commands one by one:

    unregmp2.exe /updatewmpversion
    regsvr32 wmp.dll

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try this:

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-pictures/windows-media-player-is-not-properly-installed-and/7272f9cf-69a3-46fe-bfb7-d6ff6f9d7dcd?auth=1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your suggestions. I have actually downloaded Windows 10 to replace the older version I was using. This has solved the problem, but now I have the inconvenience of getting used to the new version.

    ReplyDelete