Thursday 26 March 2015

A living saint!


I went into the CTS Shop and St Paul's bookshop near Westminster Cathedral this morning. Every time I go to St Paul's I see somebody I recognise. In this case, someone recognised me and said "hello Patricius!" from behind. That was after I took this photo. No disrespect intended to the lord pope gloriously reigning but who on earth would buy this? Not only is it tawdry and distasteful beyond belief, and even bears some resemblance to Hannibal Lecter, but it seems to imply a dangerous "reigning pope = living saint" superstition. I mean, I wasn't at all surprised to see whole sections dedicated to the "Holy Father," with books, smiling portraits and the rest, but this surely takes the biscuit!

6 comments:

  1. It is a 'living saint' kind of thing. The people who adore him are simple people. If you try to explain why this might be a bad thing, they won't be able to follow your argument. It doesn't matter, they'll say, or worse, they'll get mad and want to hit you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh do pick one up for me and post it across the pond, will you? I have just now carved out a wonderful spot for it in the middle of my house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't help but notice that his statue is larger than that of the BVM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's unfortunate that people are so ignorant. It's as August says, try and explain how this is blatant idolatry and people look aghast at you as though you were an eccentric or unreasonable. And the point becomes ever more difficult for somebody like me to argue because people might say that I am an intellectual snob or, worse, that I am autistic and have difficulties and a world view that other people don't share.

    But then, all the other statues, crucifixes and images sold in St Paul's are equally hideous and so it's hard even to distinguish this monstrosity from the rest. At least the others are all dead, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We used to have John Paul II screwdrivers in the 1990's. I went to Lourdes a couple of times and the "Palais du Rosaire" shop was selling umbrellas that lit up and played the Ave Maria when they were opened. It often rains in Lourdes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fr Anthony, I am not interested in the screwdrivers, but the umbrellas, now that is appealing! I want one.

    ReplyDelete